SEASON 30 | September 2017
September 22- October 21, 2017
A Gothic Opera by Chad Salvata
Directed by Bonnie Cullum
Presented by Ethos and The VORTEX
For Halloween 2017, Ethos and The VORTEX proudly announce a new production of Vampyress. This Gothic opera is a tale of horror, mysticism, blood, and magic, created by Ethos composer and Artistic Director, Chad Salvata. Vampyress is based on the true story of Erzsebet Bathori, “The Bloody Countess”. Born in 16th-century Hungary, Bathori murdered hundreds of young women and bathed in their blood in order to sustain her youth and beauty, until finally being discovered and condemned. While often vilified for these horrific acts, she has also evolved some cult-like status over the centuries. Salvata’s embellishment of the final days of her notorious downfall produces a powerful and compelling work of mystical storytelling.
Ethos Artistic Director Chad Salvata and VORTEX Producing Artistic Director, Bonnie Cullum team up once again for an all-new production of Vampyress with stunning new costumes, immersive sets, dynamic lighting, and exquisite sound.
Melissa Vogt and Betsy McCann Bromley reprise their award-winning roles as Erzebet and her lover, Stephan. The all-woman cast also features Chelsea Manasseri, Hayley Armstrong, Eryn Gettys, Amanda Clifton, and Micah Gause.
Directed by Bonnie Cullum. Scenic Design by Ann Marie Gordon. Lighting Design by Jason Amato. Costume Design by Stephanie Dunbar and Chad Salvata. Sound Design by Roy Taylor. Prop and Blood Design by Helen Parish.
- $35 Priority Seating ; $25 General Admission; $15 Discount/Artist/Student/Senior
- Advanced Reservations Recommended. Limited seating.
- Radical Rush Free Tickets: Limited free tickets for each performance in the spirit of sustainability, accessibility, and the gift economy. Radical Rush tickets released at 7pm each night-in-person only.
- 2-for-1 admission Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday with donation of 2 cans for SafePlace
- Erzebet Bathori’s Bloody Ball -- Saturday, October 14. A Costume Party, Fundraiser, and bloody good time.
- “Industry Night” Wednesday, October 18 8pm
- Live-Streaming TBA howlround.com/tv
- ASL-Interpreted TBA (Free to deaf and hard-of-hearing audiences)
- VORTEX Connects Post Show Discussions TBA
Warning: Nudity, Violence, Blood, and Thrills. For Mature Audiences.
Vintage Vampyress Scene: https://vimeo.com/8663990
Funded in part by Ethos, VORTEX Repertory Company, by a grant from the Texas Commission on the Arts and by the Cultural Arts Division of the City of Austin Economic Development Department.