SEASON 30 | SEPTEMBER 2018
ATLANTIS: A Puppet Opera
September 1-29, 2018 8pm
Music and Libretto by Chad Salvata
Directed by Bonnie Cullum
Presented by Ethos in association with The VORTEX
Ethos teams up with The VORTEX to re-create its magnificent and inventive Puppet Opera, Atlantis, which made its world premiere at The VORTEX in 2016. Chad Salvata, Ethos Artistic Director, visions a mythic world of warring religious zealots who are obsessed with world domination and non-renewable energy. With a soaring original score, fantastic and expressive vocalist/puppeteers, this new production of Atlantis: A Puppet Opera is one of the most exceptional and anticipated theatrical works of the year.
In the fantastic world of Atlantis, Queen Solstra and Prince Helios utilize their mighty battleship Invinctus as they seek world domination. They harvest the Eye of the last Kracken to control its Red Energy, but their greed and thirst for revenge lead to the inevitable destruction of their civilization. This cautionary environmental tale with Chad Salvata’s dynamic score and magnificent production design offers a magical realm including seductive Mermaids, a monstrous Kracken, and the ever-present power of Ocean, Sun, and Moon.
Featuring the powerhouse vocals and puppetry of Justin LaVergne, Michelle Haché, Jonathan Itchon, Anderson Dear, Melissa Vogt, Emerald Mystiek, Gabriel Maldonado, Eryn Gettys, Patricia Wappner, Jeremy Moran, Kristin DeGroot, Joseph Quintana, Laura Ray, Aisha Melham, Kera Blay, and Jelena Stojilkovic Rhynes.
Directed by Bonnie Cullum. Puppets and Scenery by Ann Marie Gordon and Melissa Vogt. Lighting Design by Jason Amato. Sound Design by Roy Taylor. Vocal Arrangements by Anderson Dear. Stage Management by Tamara L. Farley. PR Photos by Errich Petersen.
- $35 Priority Seating , $25 General Admission, $15 Discount/Artist/Student/Senior/Veteran
- Advanced Reservations Recommended. Limited seating.
- Blue Star Theatre: Discounts for Military, Veterans, and their families
- 2-for-1 admission: Thursday and Sunday with donation of 2 cans for SAFE Austin.
- Radical Rush Free Tickets: Limited free tickets for each performance in the spirit of sustainability, accessibility, and the gift economy. Radical Rush tickets released at 7pm each night-in-person only.
- Saturday, September 8 - American Sign Language ASL-Interpreted Performance. Free to Deaf and Hard of Hearing Audiences
- Friday, September 14 - Live Streaming Howlround.com/tv
- Wednesday, September 26 - Industry Night
While Atlantis: A Puppet Opera is intended for adults and contains some puppet violence and puppet nudity, older children may attend.
This project is funded and supported in part by VORTEX Repertory Company, the Texas Commission on the Arts, and by the Cultural Arts Division of the City of Austin Economic Development Department.