SEASON 29 | JUNE 2017
June 2-17, 2017
Directed by kt shorb
Presented by GenEnCo and The VORTEX
SCHEHERAZADE centers around collaborators of Middle Eastern descent, using the Arabian Night stories as a basis for exploring Islamophobia, terrorism, detention, and the "Muslim Ban." In an international airport in "The States," Scheherazade must tell stories to save her life. Interweaving queer love stories in the context of xenophobia, diaspora and fundamentalism, SCHEHERAZADE asks: what are the stories that take us home?
Donnesh Amrollah, Laura Baggs, Cyrus Bavarian, Carine Choubassi, Lemons Clemons, Shiva Jabarnia, Olivia Jiminez, Laura J. Khalil, Aisha Melhem, Tonya Pennie, Saray Rosales, Jesus Valles,
Directed by kt shorb. Script by Annie Kim Hedrick and Leena Waarsi and ensemble. Lighting Design by Rachel Atkinson. Costume Design by E.L. Hohn. Scenic Design by Ann Marie Gordon. Stage Management by Zoë Crabtree. Assistant Stage Management by Jana Zek. Associate Production by Laura J. Khalil and Lemons Clemons
- $35 Priority Seating , $25 General Admission, $15 Discount/Child/Artist/Student/Senior
- Live-Streaming Sunday, June 4 at 8pm CST on howlround.com/tv
- ASL-Interpreted June 10. Free to deaf and hard-of-hearing audiences.
- Industry Night Wednesday, June 14 at 8pm
- VORTEX Connects Post Show Discussions TBA
- Radical Rush Free Tickets: Limited free tickets for each performance in the spirit of sustainability, accessibility, and the gift economy. Radical Rush tickets released at 7pm each night-in-person only.
- Advanced Reservations Recommended. Limited seating.
The Generic Ensemble Company (GenEnCo) makes the invisible visible through bold, socially relevant, body-centered theatre. www.genenco.org. GenEnCo's The Mikado: Reclaimed was nominated for two B. Iden Payne Awards, receiving the Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role (Musical Theatre).
kt shorb’s directorial work has won a FronteraFest "Best of Fest," and been shown at the Menil Collection, the Pulitzer Foundation and in many venues across Texas. She is an invited member of the National Institute for Directing & Ensemble Creation.
"...As profound as it is heartrending."
--Orange Magazine on Generic Ensemble Company's The Mikado: Reclaimed
“…Ambitious, timely, and vitally important…”
—Austin American-Statesman on Generic Ensemble Company’s Robin Hood: An Elegy
"I love what kt shorb does and how she does it, both onstage and off. Whatever she is up to is not to be missed."
–Anne Bogart, Artistic Director – SITI Company
Funded in part VORTEX Repertory Company, by a grant from the Texas Commission on the Arts and by the Cultural Arts Division of the City of Austin Economic Development Department.